Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thing 5


I found a lot of nice pictures on Flickr but I am not sure I get the idea. It seems to be like google images except that you can choose the level of rights you have with the image you download?
I stopped and went to read some other people's blogs to get some new insights on Flickr. I see that the idea is that it is easy to find pictures that are not copyrighted and so easy for us to use. My question is: Is there and blocking feature to keep 'inappropriate pictures from showing or is the site relatively safe?


I did find some really great pictures and plan to go back to the sight for more pictures when I need them. At this point I do not need to post any pictures but I will consider it if I need to in the futrue. Could you post a set of pictures for your students to choose from while working on a project thus giving them options but not free run of the internt?

2 comments:

A Special Kind Of Teacher..... said...

As far as safe goes, every once in awhile there is something that shouldn't be there that sneaks in. I've only seen that when I'm doing a random search of other people's picts. Once I spot it, I report it but I'm not sure how effective this is going to be.
However, if you narrow your search to say something like, dogs, or fire, then you'll find a much safer experience. The more specific the better the results. I hope this helps.

VWB said...

you partly answered your own questions...Most Google images are NOT copyright-friendly! FlickrCreativeCommons are copyright friendly. Flickr attempts to police their pictures as much as possible...
yes you can collect pictures for your students to use, but you will not save as "pictures" but as jpeg files...for your use on your My Pictures file...for your class, that's a tough question!